Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,937
Re: Overpriced product - just buy Sigma 500/4.5

Russell Evans wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

You should follow my discussion with temama: he was claiming that the Sigma is better (regardless of its price) and I asked him why. We are not forced to talk within some very strict boundaries enforced by some title.

He is right. Is anyone seriously going to pay $7000 for a lens with a one year warranty? Even Sigma's four year warranty seems a little short when you start talking thousands for a lens.

Now, you are repeating the same mistake even if I explained to you that price is a separate issue. You're even adding the warranty, to confuse things further... but the question was:

Regardless of its price, is the Sigma (optically, mechanically) better?

As too the performance of the Pentax lens, I would have expected Pentax to have used the "*" naming if the lenses was up to any standard. That they didn't, well, that says a lot I think.

It says much less than you think. FTR there are non * lenses which are better than some *.

And half a stop will make a night and day difference? This is your point, that a TC would work just fine on the f/4.5 Sigma but not on a f/5.6 lens?

We already know the Sigma lens can use a TC, right now.

Answer the question, please: would a TC work just fine on the f/4.5 Sigma but not on a f/5.6 lens?

Yeah, if the worst possible scenario happens, then it's bad - tell me something new. But what if it doesn't?

Well for me with Pentax, I believe it when I see it for sale at B&H. So would I buy the 560mm without the TC, no. That's the worst case for Pentax, not that I personally will buy the lens anyway. I just think that if there is someone willing to buy the lens, that they will also want a TC for it, and finding there isn't one, is going to kill the lens' market before it even gets started. That was the point I was trying to make about the TC. No TC, no sales.

Do you actually want to buy a 500mm-ish lens? Will you buy the Sigma instead? If not, no sale was lost.

I probably got off on a tangent about the WR, but I got amused wondering if Pentax will figure out that it needs WR or not, in thinking about it.

You don't have to pay the $7000, go for the Sigma if you want. However, you cannot ask Pentax to match with their MSRPs discounted street prices of 7 years old products.

Can we at least ask them to provide a better warranty?

We're not all US residents, you know...

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow