Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Re: Pentax 560mm lens now listed on Adorama...any takers!

Avi Lewis wrote:

I saw the new lens at Pentax's display at PhotoExpo. I was taken aback at how very long the lens is! It"s not easy picturing carrying and using it in the field. It's slow, too, and while higher practical ISO's of today's cameras will help with that problem, faster would be better.

Well even with a faster lens you will need to stop the lens to f/5.6-8 to have some DOF anyway.

Shooting everything at f/4 will give you a thin DOF. I use my 400mm/4 always at f/5.6 and stop it down even more if needed but i don't use it at f/4 very often. With the new high ISO performance of the DSLR f/5.6 is not a problem.

I use to photograph wildlife in film days with an 400mm/5.6 with 100 ISO films (sometimes pushed to ISO 200) so now a "slower" lens is not a problem.

But the main reason I'm not buying one is that, unable to even touch the demonstrator in its plexiglass, I would not consider one until I'd read some reviews.

The price is high, but might be justified by its quality as reflected in some serious reviews.

For now, waiting time.

-Avi Lewis

(flickr.com/photos/avipix)

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow