D600 Af wont focus

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder Senior Member • Posts: 2,083
AF fine tune?

I haven't. I want to clean the sensor by myself and try more ways to test AF. One thing I did was to shoot test chart. I used 24-85mm lens and shoot at 85mm with f4.5, 5.6, 8 and 11. I used AF-S single focus and remote control to operate the camera. I still can't get a sharp focus. Then I locked up the mirror, now I cant get a sharp focus. Any explanation here?

The first step would be to see if the camera is consistently backfocusing or frontfocusing. If it is, try different AF fine tune values until the camera gets the focus right. If you're jamming the shutter button down quickly, try setting focus priority to make sure the camera doesn't fire until it can confirm focus.

I know it sounds dumb, but make sure the lens cap is off, and the camera is pointed at something other than a white wall. Also make sure that the target doesn't have complex repeating patterns or perfectly parallel vertical or horizontal lines - that tends to cause problems for phase detection AF systems.

Finally, make sure the lens is sharp by manually focusing (preferably in magnified live view) or using live view AF, and taking a shot on a tripod with mirror lockup.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow