The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Prairie Pal Senior Member • Posts: 2,724
A couple points about scratches and oil

Snapternity wrote:

Hey guys, I'm not sure if any of you have discovered this problem or not, so I'm gonna ask it .

These scratches are all tilted left, note the sensor and the image is up-side-down and left-right-reversal. So if the dusts are been found on the upper left corner of the image means their actual position is on the lower left on the sensor if you're facing it directly.

Do any of you have the same problem?

I tripped my shutter on bulb a couple of times and observed that this bottom piece flips down and forward out of the way when the shutter is open.  So obviously the bare metal isn't going to affect the image as some have fretted may be the case.

Secondly, I now have about 10 shutter activations on my second body.  I looked at this area when I took the second body out of the box and it did have a small rub.  After 10 activations I can say without a doubt the scar is larger.  The path of travel of this piece is down and forward so it has to be coming in contact with something below it.  If the piece it's rubbing against is powder coated then that piece is probably loosing material also.  I can see how paint flakes are likely being thrown back towards the sensor given the speed at which this piece moves and the abrupt stop.  I can see how they could be thrown against the bottom left corner of the sensor (which shows up in the top left corner image).  In fact the (large) elongated spots that looked like they were "splashed" at an angle is probably just elongated flakes, as the rub spots are about 4:1 in dimension (yeah I know we're getting highly technical here )

OIL:  Last night I saw a post on a technical blog about how dust spots can be mistaken for oil because of the appearance of a clear white ring around it.  The guy was explaining how the anti-alias software was doing that.  I can't even pretend to know enough about pixels to validate his claim but he sounded confident that it was fact and not theory.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this......but I believe powder coating paint has a minute trace of some metal in order for it to be attracted to the piece that it is supposed to cover.  If that is true (IF), then it would be attracted still to anything slightly magnetized.  Would the glass shield over the sensor have any magnetic charge at all?  Could that explain why this debris is so difficult to remove?

Prairie Pal's gear list:Prairie Pal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow