How much difference is there ... ?

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Baffled New Member • Posts: 11
How much difference is there ... ?

Hello, Forum. Here's a question you may think a bit naive. Years ago I bought my first digital camera - a Sony DSC F717, and I have used it happily ever since. Occasionally I have bought and tried second-hand examples of other cameras to see if hey were "better". I tried a Leica Digilux 1, and more recently a Ricoh GRD, but I did not like the pictures from either of them as much as the Sony's, which are not only very well resolved, but super colours too. I just like the way the pictures look - they have an extra dimension to them which is very pleasing. But of course the camera is very old now. It still works fine, but at 4.9 mp it is very "old hat", it is big and a bit of a drag to carry round, and of course it looks a bit of a freak by today's standards. I suppose it is partly these factors and partly the restless consumerism that manufacturers depend upon that makes me wonder if it is worth considering an upgrade. So what could I expect if I did upgrade? Say I bought a Sony RX100, or a Canon Powershot G1-X - both these cameras are massively better specified than my old DSC F717, but would that necessarily translate into a wonderful improvement in photograph quality? I'm not really interested in the sort of gimmicky features that some up-to-date cameras offer - I can recognize a face myself, thanks, and I don't want to take seamless panoramic views wherever I go. But I sort of suspect I might be living in a sepia-tinted retro-paradise. Has anybody out there got recent experience of jumping an eight-year gap  in technology with an update? And were you happy with the improvement? Cheers, and thanks. Baffled.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow