Best Micro Four Thirds For the Buck

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
Kevdog
Kevdog Senior Member • Posts: 1,408
Re: Best Micro Four Thirds For the Buck

Randyflycaster wrote:

I presently have the XZ-1. I'm thinking of buying a camera that I can use with a telephoto zoom lens.

(The lighter the camera the better.)

What Micro Four Thirds would be the best bang for the buck? I'm looking at the Pl1 and the Pm1, for example, but I'm confused.

Having a built-in flash is something I could live without.

Randy

Have you seen this?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7482751855/high-end-ps-versus-micro-four-thirds

Sounds like you're taking much the route I did.  We still have our XZ-1 and my wife uses it as her "purse camera".  We also got the E-PM1 with stabilized Pany 14-45 for taking video (the XZ-1's main weak point).

With the kit lens on the E-PM1, they're a pretty close match.  You have to buy some extra lenses to make the m4/3 camera worth it over the XZ-1 (and then it is really worth it).

Since you have an XZ-1, probably wise to stay in the Olympus camp.  Then menus and SCP (Super Control Panel) stay largely the same and the operation is similar.  I didn't like the GF2 layout and menus even though it did have some nice features.   I'm sure that's where the familiarity with the Olympus way of doing things caused some bias.

The E-PM1 has become much cheaper recently.   Also, you can pick up quite a few of the models used on craigslist cheap to get into a m4/3 body easier.  I just sold one of my E-PM1s when I got the E-M5 for $225.

If you want the big jump in IQ, then get the E-PM2 or E-PL5.  Same sensor as the E-M5 but about half price (even though they are just coming out).

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow