The XE1 and a Hurricane Named Sandy...

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DRabbit
DRabbit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,724
The XE1 and a Hurricane Named Sandy...

So our power is back - it finally came on tonight. I have so much sympathy for the millions who are still without, considering it is now starting to get quite chilly at night.

It's been a bizarre week, starting with the Hurricane itself, driving around to see the aftermath, and today, gas shortages. Me and my loved-ones were all very lucky. Minor little damages here and there and no power being the worst of it.

Since getting the XE1 I have carried it with me non-stop, so I got quite a few photos from before the storm... These were from Sunday as Sandy started to move into the area...

... the calm before the store if you will...

And now, the images are quite different. My favorite beaches have been flooded badly, boardwalks washed away, entire marinas destroyed. I've heard but haven't seen with my own eyes, my favorite ocean-front highway is missing in places. Some towns were almost wiped off the map completely.

I'm in central Suffolk County on Long Island... and I've heard the further west you go, the worse it gets.

Yesterday, without power and on my laptop I put together a little article for Steve Huff's site with some "after" photos taken with the XE1. That is here:

From Long Island, NY – Documenting Hurricane Sandy

in addition, with my iPhone I put together snapshots - they are on Steve's page too, but also on YouTube here:

Hurricane Sandy - Long Island, New York - Suffolk County Review

And tonight, I shot a quick video showing the crazy gas lines that have now appeared amongst gas shortages

Crazy Gas Lines after Hurricane Sandy

Just wanted to share with you all. Nothing quite as dramatic as some of the images from NYC, but you can see we've all been affected in various ways around the NY and Tri-State Area. Some areas are disastrous, and it will be a long time before they are the same again.

Thanks for looking,

Amy

-- hide signature --

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
on Google+... on Twitter... on Facebook
My PAD Project and My Gallery

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II +24 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow