Sales of the Sony A99

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,956
Re: Frank Doorhof on the Sony A99

jonikon wrote:

Sounds to me that you are already trying to lower expectations for the a99 score!

Nope, not at all.  Just keeping things in perspective.

I wouldn't directly compare an A35 or A57 to an A77.  Nor would I directly compare a D600 to a D800.  They are tailored towards different markets and different kinds of photographers.  Sure, you can compare image quality and ISO all day long, but that is only part of the story for a camera.  If its capabilities beyond image quality are unable to meet the expectations and needs of the photographer, then it is useless.  In the case of the D600, it lacks several features that would classify it in the same class as the A99 and D800.  Just plain and simple.  Look any deeper and you begin to get into the Apple and Oranges scenario.  Other than both of them being fruit, beyond that you don't have much more that can be directly comparable.

If I was in the market to upgrade, for what I do the D600 is not an option.  I would be looking at the A99 or the D800 (providing I was considering jumping ship, which I am not).  I wouldn't even bother with Canon, just not my cup of tea.

In any event, the success or failure of the a99 and the other Sony's SLT cameras will be decided by consumers buying choices and not our opinions on these forums. Based on Nikon's just released excellent financial report, I'm betting on Nikon D600 and D800 sales to exceed Sony a99 sales by a wide margin.

Just like any business and product, its success and failure is directly related to how well it is received by the consumers.  From what I am seeing about the A99, it looks to be a well received product.  Until the A99 becomes more readily available and the reviews start trickling in, it is yet to be determined how many Canon and Nikon FF shooters will be jumping ship for it.  But so far, I don't see many people leaving their Sony's in disgust over the A99.

As for sales, being that the D600 has been on sale for over a month now and the D800(E) for 7 months and that the A99 has been on sale (at least here in the US) for not even two weeks (with quite a few people whose shipments are being delayed due to Sandy), I sure would hope it would outsell the A99.  Especially with the larger Nikon user base that has been itching to upgrade doesn't hurt either.  Otherwise, Nikon would have some explaining to do.

from Nikon Rumors .com

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/01/nikons-financial-results-for-the-first-half-of-the-year-are-out.aspx/#more-47884

I don't have a fancy chart to show Sony's, but from what I have read it mirrors mostly the same trend: a loss in compact DSC but a growth in interchangeable lens type cameras.

Have a nice day Paul.

- Jon

You do the same.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow