Best Micro Four Thirds For the Buck

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Questions thread
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Best Micro Four Thirds For the Buck

Randyflycaster wrote:

I presently have the XZ-1. I'm thinking of buying a camera that I can use with a telephoto zoom lens.

(The lighter the camera the better.)

What Micro Four Thirds would be the best bang for the buck? I'm looking at the Pl1 and the Pm1, for example, but I'm confused.

Having a built-in flash is something I could live without.

Yes, the jungle of different models can be daunting for new photographers interested by a micro four thirds camera. I tried to  explain the differences between the different models in another thread; you can check it here .

Check the answer  too.

As for the best bang for the bucks, I'd say it is the Panasonic G3 (the GX1 being still a little more expensive), or an E-Pl3 ( still has the older sensor, but is very reactive, will be OK in good light) or E-Pm2 with th newer sensor, but less external controls.

I don't think that there is a huge difference between the G3 or GX1 sensors and the E-Pl3 and older Pens sensors : they are all Panasonic sensors and have less DR and more noise than the newer Sony sensors you find in the E-M5, E-Pl5 and E-Pm2. But the first and second Pens generations were a little slow. So even if they have an older sensor, the E-Pl3 and E-Pm1 are better cameras than the E-P1/2 or E-Pl1/2. You should really avoid the E-P1 : the LCD is rather bad and it doesn't have the E-VF plug.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha 7R II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow