A57 or A65 for lowlight wildlife?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Re: A57 or A65 for lowlight wildlife?

Rob, I really think it depends on the print job, relative ISO involved and what your definition of 'roughly equal' would be. For you perhaps there's insufficient difference between the two even before resampling and subsequent processing? There's also your own comfort level with Lightroom or other PP app to consider, so I can't make that determination for you.

This discussion mainly centered on whether higher ISO noise favored the A57. While I maintain it does, others believe that you need to factor post processing. After doing some of that myself, I found you can mitigate a decent bit of the 24MP chroma noise but are still left with some blotching and luma spots that still sets it a bit apart from the A57.

I'd say that's another discussion and I certainly don't care to perpetuate it any further here, but if I really had to guess it sounds like the difference wouldn't be sufficient to be a major factor for your particular application. I could certainly be wrong on that, so I'd suggest downloading Imaging Resource and DPR source samples at ISO 1600 and up and futzing with them in the processing app of your choice in a manner that most closely matches your workflow.

Good luck!

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony a7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow