A57 or A65 for lowlight wildlife?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Re: A57 or A65 for lowlight wildlife?

Of course, post processed and resized images (well below even 16MP) will show less of a discrepancy. Not a controlled a comparison like DPR, IR or DxO and not really useful for a baseline comparison of OOC RAW.

I keep getting talked down by theswede and philco because DPR has exposure variables in their images, but I've nodoubt they'll heartily agree with your assessment regardless of how you reached it.

For the record, I am not saying one sensor or camera is better than the other, but the fact that the A65 produces more chroma noise at high ISO is not really debatable. Where the discussion becomes convoluted is when we start factoring in theoretical processing and myriad requirements for varied photographers. If all you need is a 1000x1000 web image then sure, some extra chroma noise will matter less, although you will still be left with reddish shadows that need correcting. I guess that 'doesn't matter' either since you can adjust it in post? Regardless of whether that throws overall color balance off and necessitates additional tweaking.

Of course, if all you needed was a 6MP or lower image with smoothing or other processing applied, I have to wonder why we're talking about 16MP or 24MP SLT or SLR level cameras in the first place.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha a7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow