Owners: How does the 10 f2.8 compare with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Questions thread
OP jonikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,945
Re: Owners: How does the 10 f2.8 compare with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ?

bowman wrote:

I have owned the V1 with both kit lens for some months and been very pleased indeed, so much so that I purcased a second with 10mm lens.

I have not yet carried out any pixel peeping but I got the impression that the 10mm is sharper with better contrast and tones. I even check out the settings on both cameras in case they were mismatched. It is a very nice little lens indeed and if I can I will post a few direct comparrisons taken with one camera, may take a day or two but should be interesting.

I must say I do like using the cameras with the 10mm, the 10-30 seems large and slow to switch on and unlock fter using the 10mm. Of course I do miss the zoom on occasions and am pleased to own the two lens. I think I would find a 35mm equivelent even more useful than the 10mm.

My pal, a professional photographer purcased a V1 a few months ago with only the 10mm as a carry anywhare camera, he is delighted with it and is taking more photographs for "Himself" than he has for years.

Regards

John B.

Thanks for sharing your opinion John. Just the kind of information I was looking for. Two of the shortcomings of the 10-30 I have found somewhat disappointing is the field curvature affects at 10mm and the relatively low micro-contrast. I am hoping the 10mm will improve upon those.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow