Sales of the Sony A99

Started Oct 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: Sales of the Sony A99

jonikon wrote:

Sony fans would be wise to just be happy that they finally have a FF camera option again for their lenses and stop fretting about how well the a99 fares in the marketplace.

- Jon

Great wisdom in this statement. I thought what was important at this level is if the camera meets your needs. Should really somebody what the person is shooting with? Should not somebody be more concerned about the camera meeting ones' needs? If the a99 meet your needs then that is the camera for you. It should not be a problem if Ashton Kutchter is using Nikon or so so is using Canon.

For me personally, I think Sony was unwise to release the camera at the same time with D600 and Canon 6D. If the a99 was released in June, it would have its own spotlight and at its price, suddenly it would have appeared cheap compared to the D800 and 5DM3. But the way they released it has many confused. Should it be compared to D800 and 5DM3 or D600? It is obvious which category it should be but that does not appear so to many people and it is even worse with all the comparisons against the D600. Then all of sudden, it appears to be expensive because of being placed in the wrong category.

The abscence of its discussions in other forums other than Sony is a testimony to this. The pot is muddled with all these new FF cameras. Sony would have attracted a lot of upgraders from the CaNikon but now, the motivation to do so is not strong unless what is more interested in the other things that Sony is offering. Next time, Sony should time its releases very cleaverly

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow