Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
cerberusjf Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

All this while, you and Barry and all the other whiners could have been taking lots of pictures with your cameras which were close enough to being in perfect focus, a state, btw, which exists but rarely. If you think that bailing and going over to Fuji is going to make things better, you're in for a rude awakening. Every consumer camera and every pro camera to a lesser extent focuses a bit off 99.9% of the time. That's just a fact. If you confine yourself to test charts and newspapers taped to the wall, you're for the funny farm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/07/autofocus-reality-part-1-center-point-single-shot-accuracy

I just read this and none of this is news.  It is pretty easy to find out that PDAF is not as accurate as CDAF, and neither are 100% precise.  I am not looking for perfection.  I was also prepared for front or back focus problems because the D5100 doesn't have focus fine tune.

Nikon acknowledged my 35mm 1.8 was back-focusing (not exactly a rare problem with that lens).  The fact that they forgot to check it first time was disappointing.  This lens, along with my 50mm 1.8 is now consistently front-focusing.   The newspaper taped to the wall was a focus test and at no time was the newspaper anywhere near in focus with PDAF.  All the shots showed front focus, which indicates the camera/lens combo is now front focusing.  As it is happening with my 50mm 1.8 as well (which Nikon have not indicated finding a fault with, though it's not clear) I suspect the camera.

I agree that focus testing is a fast track to the madhouse, which is why I am very frustrated with Nikon.  If there is something wrong, I have to send it in.  If Nikon don't fix it, or don't do it correctly, I have to send it in again.  I do shoot other things, but so far have had to resort to "work-arounds" to make up for the poor accuracy of the PDAF.

The plain truth is that you and Gibraltar's most famous citizen have failed where the vast majority have succeeded brilliantly. Might just possbly be time for a reevaluation there.

If you look at my newspaper focus test and honestly tell me that my camera is not exhibiting front-focus then I will re-evaluate myself.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow