Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,474
Far less

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

D90 IMO is superior for metering less bias to the AF point, no perfect but I feel better overall.

Under controlled tests....Hogan points out that the D7000 does this to a much less degree than the D90 and far less than the D80 or previous bodies. It's also very easy to remove it as a variable with simple settings choices.

Sub mirror.. I think the problem goes beyond just that. I know the Nikon brochure says "razor sharp AF system" can't say I ever felt that was a good description.

No, the tungsten light  issue has been well documented now. It's a AF sub-mirror calibration issue that has been corrected. Also not uncommon in many other models and brands.

Let's bury this user/settings/pixel density once and for all some folks are just ok about ho hum AF performance, as Mira said she now uses live view because shock..the focus is inconsistent. No idea why it's like that..it's really not half as good as it makes itself out to be. 39 AF points..nice but I'd take just one that could focus accurately!

It's still far better than and Nikon Digital DX body before it in this class. Understanding how to accurately test focus is also makes for easy differentiation.

It's easy to blame users/lenses/settings/pixels..a lot of people have reported problems and most of them are about the AF. Can't all be wrong?

No, not all.....but by example, many

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow