Is Canon out of touch ?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Travelintrevor Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: SOLUTION... My on camera flash photos look just fine

sixgun wrote:

You were out of line with your post, and like the travel guy who started this entire diatribe by posting his "superior" speedlight images and more or less throwing insults at me with his holier than thou put down of my original post and apparent superior knowledge of light .. LOL

this is your inference as I never said mine looked better since I had nothing to compare them too. I said that "My on camera flash photos look just fine" (see title) since you stated that on-camera flash is something that should never be used. And your original post lacks merit IMO. Use proper shutter speed, certainly not 1/30 seconds like you did in the photo you posted, and you won't have issue shooting 1st sync. I have seen nothing in your portfolio that required anything but 1st sync.

FYI -

The image I put up that you think I took with an "iPhone" or Rebel with a kit lens appeared in a national bridal magazine, I don't know why it looks flat and crappy on this forum - it probably has something to do with the way dpreview compresses files. Our images are stored in 16 bit Prophoto RGB format , I have no idea what they do when they convert / compress them - but I can assure you it looks good on our computer and the clients were very happy with it.

Post the photo with EXIF and we will shut up. You won't because it was shot with an entry level DSLR, and/or different setting than you stated. There is nothing! wrong with entry level DSLR's since they can indeed produce great photos ...and I am glad you admitted that the photo looked flat because it did. Not just here on DP but also on your site...the photo is not bad and there is no reason that the couple should not be happy with it...but your settings are just not reasonable. 1/30 seconds hand held, no IS, no tripod =asking for trouble. Then you said it was windy...even more reason to crank up the ISO or stop down the lens. You can fix noise post...but you can't fix a bad choice of camera settings. There is an additional photo of the couple on your page that looks like it has some motion blur and this was surely due to bad settings.

Instead of being a douchebag and insulting people, how about sticking to the topic and offering critiques when they are asked for ? I won't disagree with you that the photo looks flat, but you'll get a lot more respect if you are constructive with your comments.
Is that really too much to ask ?

You are right, you never asked for them but got some feedback anyway because they support the argument that lack of 2nd sync support is not a/your real problem. You stated you don't use on camera flash but your site suggest otherwise..and adding background blur post? Again, done because of bad camera settings or lack of proper equipment. Your choices for those photos show that 2 sync is not a real problem, but just something that you seem to have clung to, made an issue out of it and felt like posting about. So while the critique may not have been explicitly asked for, they were warranted nonetheless to show that you need to master your camera settings and not blame lack of 2nd sync for your mistakes.

A great teacher can be found in Neil. A top wedding photog! He writes excellent blogs about using proper settings..take a look

http://neilvn.com/tangents/

http://neilvn.com/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow