Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: A solution

phiri wrote:

You will realize also that when many people complain about blurry pictures on the D7000, the lenses mostly used are fast primes. Why? they dont have VR. Many people use VR as default on the zoom lenses.When I use zooms, VR is only used when the shutter speeds are low. So when they switch to primes, it requires a different technique to achieve better results.

Now that I am siwtching to primes only, I remember the first time I went shooting with the 35mm only and the pictures were not that better per say. I realized another important factor is the ergonomics of the camera/lens combo. If for instance one is used to shooting a D7000 with 16-85VR and then you switch to 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8, you have to adjust your handling of the camera lens combo. With each lens you use, you have to adjust your handholding techniques and adjust camera parameters such as shutter speeds accordingly. Otherwise there is no point to keep on complaining.

This is my rationale. When people using the same equipment as I have are getting better results, there are only three likely scenarios. The technique is subpar, the camera is faulty or a combination of both. But to address the issue you have to tackle the first two one by one. The first should be normally to assess your technique but usually people blame the camera first. That is why people can afford to exchange 7 camera bodies in a row.

I noted some minor mirror induced vibrations hand holding at shorter focal lengths say 35-45mm with "safe" shutter speeds of around 1/125s and a bit over.

It was not massive quite minor but enough to take the edge off the shots, it's not something that I'd run screaming around about either..it's not as if all the shots or even half had problems

AF wise I stand by my remarks that the AF is inconsistent. It's not rocket science we all know that there is a range where the AF can lock on..and there will be some minor variations in that whatever camera you have. But the variation was quite big on the D7000's you could take 5 shots one will be on target, one a bit off, one a bit more off, and one quite some way off target. I can't explain it bar maybe the backfocus issues out of the box which can lead to that inconsistency, but it's got very little to do with technique or settings..a lot more to do with what goes on at the factory.

It's just not good enough and Nikon service isn't much use either..you might get it fixed, might have to send it in a few times to get there.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow