Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,625
Re: You can find..

Steve Bingham wrote:

Still getting 99.9% in-focus photos using four different Nikon lenses on my D7000 (over the last 2 years). My idea of AF has developed after 50 years as a working pro - the first 20 without autofocus! Might I suggest a nice quiet discussion between you and your camera? You obviously are not communicating well.

And i have very good results in most cases, even generally in low light...but this past weekend in the clouds and rain, with a moving subject, it was a struggle.  I would have expected it would still be ok with my daughter sitting still on a rock but it wasnt.  It wasn't a case of the camera not obtaining focus, it said the focus was good and it was about 6" behind when that 80-200 afs is usually dead on.

Strangely enough, it seems that i have more trouble with f2.8 lenses and it's not a dof problem because it happens when they're stopped down to f4 or f5.6.  Its not a focus shift problem as i have plenty of sharp images at those apertures.  It seems to be low light, when it's cloudy out which may indicate that it's a certain wavelength of light that's an issue or just a lack of contrast edges.  The line focus sensors were absolutely useless, it was about 3pm so it wasn't THAT dark out

Inside the aquarium facility, where it was much darker, i had very little trouble though i did resort to using active AF for part of the time too in the especially dark areas.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow