Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,480
A solution

dirtdiver82 wrote:

I'm also aware that my Panasonic FT2 has a crappy 1/2,3" 14MP sensor that has a much greater density than the D7K and has much worse colors, DR, etc, BUT you can take a picture with one hand on a sunny day and despite the noise, the poor colors, etc it's tack sharp.

The Panasonic FT2 is a CDAF only camera. To compare realistically you need to shoot the D7K in Live view only (comparing focus).

BTW, to confirm a focus issue with the D7K, a proper CDAF vs PDAF comparison will show it or rule it out.

As Barry said, it's not something consistent. Happens with some shutter speeds to different extents and it's more likely due to vibrations caused by the mirror mechanism. For example, in my experience 1/500s many times looked worse than 1/250s ( w/good lighting and low ISO ). It's been discussed here before.

Barry was never able to actually test for focus issue properly in all 6 bodies he had. Very difficult to draw conclusions in that way. Note though that mirror slap will never be an issue above 1/250s and I have rarely seen it above 1/60 (lens dependent).

.....the second D7000 focused right on most situations, in indoor tungsten/candle lighting it backfocused like crazy. This is a challenging scenario because of the strong IR light emissions disturbing the PDAF sensors but other cameras just handle it better.
Seems Nikon also realized that there were room for improvement with the D7K AF as they released the D600 with the same AF module but revised. The D600 can focus at f/8. The D7K... well, not. At least in my experience.

The tungsten/candle lighting issue is real and affected a few early D7K's. It requires an adjustment of the AF sub mirror and Nikon service now has no problem correcting it.

AS the D7000 actually focuses wide open....I have no problems at f8 (I don't have slow glass with TC's )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow