Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,553
Re: You can find..

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

AF complaints on every model of DSLR ever made to varying degrees that is.

Lemon bodies will hit the shelves from every maker that is life and a reality. But it should not be so high in numbers that the market is flooded with iffy bodies.

There are a few other points, average D7k user might spot this..some might not. There are complaints about other Nikon models, but not as many as the D7000. That may or may not reflect the actual situation. Chances are some D7k D3100/5100 users might not even notice issues..some will

There there is the "tolerance" part where users can come to accept things..such as Mira here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50110247

Basically saying what I have all along inconsistency in AF and suggests using live view. I just don't think the D7k is that good for AF after owning 2 of them. Some might accept it..I personally do not. I also noted some mirror vibrations at some shutter speeds causing some blur..which I did not on the D90 separate issues but it did show up for me.

I do hope we get beyond the stage of simply saying the AF is complicated, or just settings, users fault of blaming the lenses, pixel density, or limitations of phase detect AF. It's quite possible your idea of decent AF is a million miles away from mine. D7k is IMHO not that good for AF, and I'm not the first person to suggest that either

Still getting 99.9% in-focus photos using four different Nikon lenses on my D7000 (over the last 2 years). My idea of AF has developed after 50 years as a working pro - the first 20 without autofocus! Might I suggest a nice quiet discussion between you and your camera? You obviously are not communicating well.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow