Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Re: D7000 over complex for many buyers

sjgcit wrote:

With sophistication comes more complexity and more ways for beginners to make mistakes. This is something like giving a sports car to a learner. It increases the likelihood of a crash, but that doesn't mean the cars to blame.

On top of that beginner's blame the equipment before they accept they're to blame. Beginner's think the camera should be even more automated and have better automated AF "guessing" than the lower models. This is the exact opposite of what a more sophisticated system gives you - it gives you more control, rather than taking over from you.

This is what happened to me about two years ago, comming from my D200. I was VERY upset and disappointed and ended up returning the D7000, i thought that piece of crap sucked!! First of all i was shooting in AUTO mode on the dial, and also no matter what, i was getting soft blurry shots. But then i kept reading how good the damm thing was, so i decided to go buy it again and damm!! Soft and blurry photos AGAIN and that is when i realized that the problem was ME and i understood that i was holding a completely different breed of a camera. I didn't even know anything about AF Fine tuning at that time. I have learned a lot with this camera, i feel as if i have gone thru a four semester camera course and up to this day i am still learning it.

In the end i have put into practice everyones advice and began by completely resetting my D7000, i learned how to AF Fine tune each of my lenses, started doubleing or triple shutter speed, mentain steady hands, use appropriate AF modes and I have been blown away and am VERY happy with this $1299 camara (now a $999). Focusing is spot on and it does not back focus anymore after fine tuning all my lenses, if i am getting bad photos is because "I" am doing something wrong. To me, the price is what impresses me the most with this camera model, and franckly this is why i haven't found the need to go FF.

I am sure people DO get bad hardware, but i think in most cases it is the lack of motivation and desire to fix it yourself since newer models are more sofisticated and Nikon does not ship them to you in PLUG & PLAY mode, and this is why some people consider this "unexeptable" for what they are paying.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow