Have been thinking about the Nikon D600. Is it right for me?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
memo90061 Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Have been thinking about the Nikon D600. Is it right for me?

Hello. I've been thinking of the Nikon D600 mainly because of the clean high ISO images. I don't consider myself a pro, and I still have a lot to learn. I started off with point and shoot cameras, then moved to 4/3s with an Olympus E-520, and  now have a Canon T2i. I've been finding my style with all these cameras, and what I noticed I shoot the most is candid images, and love night images. I don't like using the flash, and high ISO pictures aren't that good with my T2i. I use a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and have good pictures. I just wish they were cleaner.

I can't afford the Nikon D600 now, but MIGHT be able to afford it in February, if I sell my Canon T2i + lenses. I've been thinking about different cameras, and can't seem to decide on one. I wanted the Olympus OM-D because it's lightweight, is weather sealed, has a lot of lenses I want, has IBIS to help me with my night pictures, and high ISO is good for a m4/3s camera. I also thought about the Fuji X-E1 because of the smaller size, and it seems to have good high ISO quality. I'm just nervous about the focusing because I also like capturing snapshots of people. I didn't think of full frame mainly because of the big size. I carry my camera almost at all times, and sometimes I just don't want to carry all the gear the entire day. The Nikon D600 came out, and I've been amazed at the high ISO images. That's the quality I would want in a small body. If I were to buy the camera I would probably buy a used body (hopefully I'm able to buy a used body in February around 1800) and buy the 50mm f/1.8 G lens. I think I'll be good with that until I can afford a wider fast lens.

Do you think I'd benefit from the Nikon D600? Here are some types of images I shot to get an idea of what I like to shoot.

memo90061's gear list:memo90061's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow