Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
prash26np
prash26np New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

I am really surprised at the number of people who jump to point the D7000 for AF issues, I dont claim to be an expert nor a professional photographer, but I am sure that the D7000, has not failed my focus requirements

I shoot birds and some potraits and landscapes.

I have never had any troubles, or i can say that the newer copies of the d7k with the firmware update are better, maybe.

I have fellow nikonites, using the d7k, none of them reported AF problems either.

a bird in flight, is generally a good measure of AF, though some members may argue about low light sports, I would still argue and believe, birds do make challenging AF subject, especially the medium small ones, 18 inches to 24 inches in height, like water birds.
i have shot birds in different lighting conditions, bright sunlight, sunset, cloudy bad sunlight. I have to say with a 150-500mm F5-F6.3 lens shooting at 1/500 and above, mostly at 500mm and F8 .

The AF has been spot on, i agree the learning curve is a bit steep, but only at the begining, later it really is easy.

The D7000 has 2 user modes and 1 manual mode, i use the 3 for three different settings, preset.

U1 for action

U2 for low light potraits

M for landscape

really very helpful

I have included these samples

for

bright light

Pond Heron, 18 inch bird, shot in AF continuous 21 point Dynamic area

for Low light

Commorant, 18 inch bird, shot in AF continuous 21 point Dynamic area

for low light small bird

less than 12 inches in height

Myna, 12 inch bird, shot in AF continuous 39 point Dynamic area

For Sunset, with sun in the background,

Egret, 18 inch bird, shot in AF continuous 21 point Dynamic area

Not that, i want to prove, my expertise here, i just want people to know, that the AF on the D7000 is very very good, if not at par with the D300s, it is right behind (may be a 0.50 on a scale of 10), and will fulfill, most of your requirements, coupled with the new 2016 pixel RGB metering sensor, the colors on the d7000, is accurate and deep. Not to forget, the best Crop sensor out today.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow