Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ando72 Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: Why no focus issues with D5100 or D3100 compared with D7000

hea wrote:

After reading all comments in B&H and Amazon about these 3 cameras I found almost no issues complaining Back/Bad focus on D3100 and D5100, but lots on D7000.

Also I read on this forum that problem with D7000 is not a problem but a user lack of technique due to size of sensor, I doubt because D5100 has same sensor, but on that camera people appear not to have issues.

If problem is because it is a semi-professional camera with lots of adjustments, again, I do not recall issues with D300 o D700 owners.

All this comment is because I want to buy D7000 but very afraid, because I buy in Texas but I live in Mexico and it is not easy to send to repair, adjust or return the camera.

I recently upgraded from the D5000 (which I believe has the same AF system as the D5100) to the D7000.  Having done extensive research before I purchased, and now having owned and used the camera for a bit over a week, here are my thoughts:

- D7000 is definitely a step up in AF system sophistication from the D5000.

- There are more choices for how you set the AF system, meaning a wider range of possibilities for how it behaves, from full user control to fully automatic.

- There is some simple testing you can do that takes no more than about 2 hours, requires no special equipment or software, eliminates all the variables, and will tell you whether the AF system needs adjustment or not.

- D7000 has AF fine tune, meaning the user can adjust small accuracy errors.  The D5000/D5100 does not have this feature.  I think this causes some people to look for AF errors/accuracy on the D7000 (because they can adjust it), and conversely D5000/5100 users mostly don't bother because there's not much they can do about it.

- In relation to the D300/D700, it's likely most users of those cameras have a deep understanding of their cameras capabilities and either tune what they know can be tuned, and learn to work with aspects that can't be adjusted.

- Internet feedback has a strong negative bias i.e. people are far more likely to complain about problems than they are to post that their camera is OK.  Don't take pure numbers as indicative of the proportion of a problem.  This is further compounded by the large number of variables with a function like autofocus - both camera settings and user variables.  It's really hard to tell if someone has a genuine problem or if there are far too many variables in play to make a sound judgement.

My advice - get the D7000, but be prepared to read the manual, experiment with different settings, do some basic testing, and understand what to do if the testing shows some AF errors.

Ando72's gear list:Ando72's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow