Storage strategy. RAID 1 or 5? Backup? Both?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,387
Both imaging and incremental backup are needed

malch wrote:

Chris Noble wrote:

Back up the whole system incrementally to an external drive once a day, background/automated. Anything that requires manual intervention is much more risky in the long run, and unnecessary.

I totally agree with: complexity == unreliability

But I'm not in favor of incremental backups for home use. They're fine (and necessary) for highly disciplined data center settings. Less so for the home.

I much prefer file synchronization (especially for large and growing image collections). This is much simpler to execute and risk of problems due to incomplete data sets is considerably reduced.

File synchronization allows you to restore the disk image in case of localized or unrecoverable corruption, or to port your system to a new drive.

Periodic incremental backup allows you to "roll back" individual files or folders to the state they were in at a chosen previous time, without affecting the rest of the system. If you realize that you corrupted a file several days later, it is too late if you rely only on file synchronization.

Windows Backup and Restore does both, running automatically in the background (that is the key), and I've used both at different times, either to recover from a disk crash or to recover the previous state of a single database.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow