Storage strategy. RAID 1 or 5? Backup? Both?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
Anfy
OP Anfy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,448
Re: Storage strategy. RAID 1 or 5? Backup? Both?

malch wrote:

You haven't really told us much about your needs but reading between the lines, they're very modest. It sounds like internal storage with USB external backup will be just fine. It's certainly the most cost effective and simplest to implement and manage.

Yes, they're for sure very modest meaning that I like to keep things simple, and in the past I fragmented my data - let's say 1TB - over multiple disks instead, and now I'd like to have one disk "to rule them all"; being able to backup its data with ease, of course.

The idea of a small, internal two-disks RAID 1 array + an USB external drive (a WD My Book, for instance) as backup was my first thought, but I would be very controller-dependent for the RAID, a cheap PCI(e) board could be not the smartest move for this: an external NAS solution like those from QNAP or Synology would be better, but for various practical reasons I'd prefer an internal solution, so I should switch my motherboard with one possessing RAID functions, and I don't plan to.

So, I am thinking of your solution and I must agree, it is attractive as to the overall costs and gives an acceptable - even if not optimal - level of security.

Whereas I do not get a positive answer on a good, reliable internal RAID controller card.

Ciao!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow