Storage strategy. RAID 1 or 5? Backup? Both?

Started Oct 28, 2012 | Questions thread
malch Forum Pro • Posts: 14,275
Re: Storage strategy. RAID 1 or 5? Backup? Both?

ppage wrote:

Sorry to disagree, but RAID is not at all unaffordable for home users. I had a machine built for me a couple of years ago that included a really good NDVIDEA graphics card, a SSD drive for my OS and applications, and 3 500 GB 7200 rpm drives in a RAID 5 format, all for about $2,000 CDN.

I didn't really say it was unaffordable. But, obviously, RAID storage costs more than non-RAID.

My point is... there isn't much need/benefit when the total number of disk drives involved is very small. In fact, one is more likely to experience problems with the RAID setup itself than one is to experience a single drive failure.

RAID really comes into play when you have hundreds of drives and single-drive failures are a frequent and regular occurrence.

For home users, I think the best and most cost effective measures are:

1. Make backups. Always a must, with or without RAID!

2. Replace HDD's at the first hint of trouble (unusual noise, reported errors, etc) or after 5 years. The risk of a failure increases significantly after 5 years.

3. Clean your computer vents/fans regularly to avoid overheating problems.

For most home users the cost and complexity associated with RAID is simply not commensurate with the likely benefits.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow