F4 is not F2.8...some thoughts

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: F4 is not F2.8...some thoughts

Shotcents wrote:

7) If you use 70-200 type range for shooting landscapes of various types, then I see it as viable. Beyond that...no thanks. It's an overpriced optic stacked against a Canon lens to gain more market share. If I was given one on Sunday I'd sell it on Monday.

By the way, the Canon EF 70-200 f4 IS is $1249, the new Nikkor is $1399 so pricing is in the same general vicinity.

Is the 70-200 VR a ploy to gain more market share or it's Nikon giving it's users a lens they have been asking for for years may? The answer may depend of if you're an optimist or not, it could also be both.  This is the likely answer, as obviously Nikon is trying to increase market share.  Last time I checked they were running a business.

You mentioned that the Nikon 70-300 VR got universal praise.  I guess you skipped the Photozone review where it got 2 1/2 stars.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/620-nikon70300f4556vrfx

As far as DOF control, if you are shooting portraits on FF, you are almost certainly going to want to get some DOF and 200mm at f4-f5.6 will more than fine for good subject isolation.  The 70-200 f4 focuses much closer than the 70-200 2.8 VR II which is a huge plus. What's more is many of us own either an 85 1.4G or 85 1.8G, so it's not like a 70-200 2.8 is an absolute requirement.

I love both versions of the 70-200 VR, but when I'm out in the field, unless I'm really close to my car, the weight of all my gear can be extreme, and such an optic can be overkill.

The improved VR is also interesting. I also shoot a lot of video with my D800, and the improved VR has me intrigued.

Variable aperture tele zooms are great for hiking, they are not a replacement for a proper professional grade optic like the 70 or 80-200 f2.8 or the 70-200 f4. If the 70-300 VR works for you, that's fine.  Why try to convince everyone else what they should shoot with?  No offense, but if you got the 70-200 f4 VR on Sunday and sold it not on Monday, but Sunday evening, what would that mean to any of us?  And it's doubtful it will sour a single person on getting this exciting new lens.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow