Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Focusing with a smaller target : a how to and some comments

jeffharris wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

alatchin wrote:

I sold off my a850 and Sony/Minolta lenses when I saw the OMD file quality. I havent regretted it yet, and the accuracy of CDAF is a real bonus, I just want a smaller AF box in the "pro" camera.

You are aware that you can get a way smaller AF box than the default one when using the Zoom AF feature ?

I use that option most of the time : when used at 14x zoom factor, the target becomes really small. I agree that then you loose all your shooting info on the display.

But here is how I find easier to work :

Of course if the usual target showing up with the shooting info was smaller, it would be much better, no need for that fingers dance !

That "routine" sounds like a pain! So where is the "advantage" of AF if you're stuck doing all that?

as I said, it was very fluid on the E-P3, but a little less so with the E-M5.  AF is  a benediction for all those getting a worse sight with the years. I don't trust my eyes enough for manual focusing..

Honestly, I spend/waste more time dicking around with focus box size and whatnot when using AF lenses than just focusing manually. Although, when using AF lenses, I'm officially in lazy mode, so mostly opt for touchscreen focus shifting, or I'll opt for a hybrid approach shifting focus point with the touch screen and EVF.

but you need the magnifier for manual focusing too..

Manual lenses (with an EVF) are so much easier to use. Plus, they have an aperture ring and focus scale. The MF routine is: Compose, shift focus point, zoom for focus assist, shoot. Repeat…

But you need a good eye-sight to check focus :-).

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow