Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

jeffharris wrote:

Plan 1 seems okay. Personally, I prefer primes and find that when I do shoot with zooms I use the extremes, but rarely the middle range. Having more lenses to choose from is a good thing.

There's also a hybrid approach: 7-14mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm, 100-300mm

Sure, the 100-300mm isn't on the same level as any of the primes or high-end zooms, but it's reasonably priced and sized and quite a bit of fun to shoot with.

As for the "which lens" debate, that depends on what you're shooting. For travel, when time, weight and complexity come into play, as well as not really knowing what I'll encounter, I carry zooms, a fast prime and a macro lens: 7-14mm, 14-140mm, Voigtländer 25mm, Nikon 60mm f2.8D macro, possibly the 100-300mm.

For walking around town (NYC) I carry 2 to 4 primes. My current favorite little kit: SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6, Voigtländer 25mm, Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar. Sometimes I'll add a Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar, or might toss in a Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro (which is also a great telephoto) or an Olympus OM 135mm f2.8. Yes, they're all manual lenses.

I also don't get hung up on lens "gaps" and opt to think a bit more, rather than lug the proverbial kitchen sink.

I like Plan 1.5!  I buy UWA zooms instead of a wide prime, since landscapes are a large part of my photography.  The zooms on the ends makes sense.  The 100-300 is better (according to what I've seen) than the 45-200, and the price is right for that much reach.  Plus the only other option is the oly 75-300 at the moment.

Quite the lens selection for m43!

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow