Said Good Bye to my Canon 5D MK II today.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,095
Re: Focusing with a smaller target : a how to and some comments

rrr_hhh wrote:

alatchin wrote:

I sold off my a850 and Sony/Minolta lenses when I saw the OMD file quality. I havent regretted it yet, and the accuracy of CDAF is a real bonus, I just want a smaller AF box in the "pro" camera.

You are aware that you can get a way smaller AF box than the default one when using the Zoom AF feature ?

I use that option most of the time : when used at 14x zoom factor, the target becomes really small. I agree that then you loose all your shooting info on the display.

But here is how I find easier to work :

Of course if the usual target showing up with the shooting info was smaller, it would be much better, no need for that fingers dance !

That "routine" sounds like a pain! So where is the "advantage" of AF if you're stuck doing all that?

Honestly, I spend/waste more time dicking around with focus box size and whatnot when using AF lenses than just focusing manually. Although, when using AF lenses, I'm officially in lazy mode, so mostly opt for touchscreen focus shifting, or I'll opt for a hybrid approach shifting focus point with the touch screen and EVF.

Manual lenses (with an EVF) are so much easier to use. Plus, they have an aperture ring and focus scale. The MF routine is: Compose, shift focus point, zoom for focus assist, shoot. Repeat…

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow