F4 is not F2.8...some thoughts

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: F4 is not F2.8...some thoughts

Canyongazer wrote:

well, no, I wouldn't pick a 200mm f2 as an event lens! OTOH, I think the 70-200 2.8 is rather unwieldy, too.

For shooting outdoor portraits the 200 f2 is unsurpassed.

Like any statement made like this, it's subjective. I passed on the 200 f/2 as good as it was for outdoor portraits and prefer the 300 f/2.8 as "unsupassed" for this purpose. Sigma's 150 f/2.8 APO HSM is also no slouch in this regard and is sometimes my best choice for outdoor portraits. I shot a product brochure using requested beach portraits on Miami Beach with those two lenses a few years ago to great success, combined with a lot of outdoor studio lighting and reflectors as well as huge flags. I fitted the 150 with a large ring flash too. Because video was also involved, we also had a location and shoot manager there along with some nosey marketing types. LOL

The 200 f/2 is a super wonderful lens for portraits, but not quite "unsurpassed." Maybe "almost" unsurpassed to some of us.

P.S. - I can't display the images nor name the sponsor. You understand. So, the above is purely my opinion.

Also, I'd not want to tote the 70-200 f/2.8 or 200 f/2 as a purely events lens. Without a tripod or at least a monopod, I'm going lighter weight.

Sigma 150 f/2.8 with that ugly finish that gets uglier over time if you don't dress it with silicone.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow