Does the D3x hold any advantage in performance or usability in comp to D800?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659
Re: All I know is

backayonder wrote:

That unless I make money from my photography, I just can't justify upgrading to a D800.

I think that 36mega pixels is an overkill when I feel that my D200 and D300s still take great pictures.

I prefer. How can I explain this honest pictures with a raw edge to them. All I am seeing from owners of the D800 are HDR type images which I am not a fan of. Each to their own I don't want to start a war, if that is what you like then so be it.

You aren't looking hard enough. There are many producing brilliant work. Check out Spencer Brown, stunning work with the D800 and a bunch of Zeiss primes. Then have a look at Moving comfort on here who is using alot of AF-D primes on the D800 and producing great results (dispelling the myth that old lenses cannot cope on the D800), then have a search on google for D800 landscape photography - some very talented folk out there. To generalize and think everyone is mainly producing HDR images is odd. Look further than this forum for a start. I wouldn't dispute the D300's ability to take great photos. No one is saying that. But the D800 is state of the art presently. Saying that, I won't upgrade next time as I have what I want now. Even with the D700 I felt limited by the dynamic range, I used grad nds constantly, now I just shadow pull and get everything I need, even into the sun and the colour produced by the sensor is incredible, AF better, resolution higher and it has video.

There is a thread elsewhere on this forum featuring mono images from Iceland taken with a D800, some taken at night they are excellent, no noise. That is where I can see why a D800 comes into it's own, low noise, low light. I just don't get this expensive camera being used to take plastic HDR images with no soul to them.

I'm sure your D3X will just do fine.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow