The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
Re: The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Not really. The mirror box should be clean, provided the assembly facility has some clean room standard. On the other hand, when they test the camera after assembly, the techs may not have the training to be looking for that issue. Many things could go wrong, even in the parts supply chain. I don't have the light at the moment to clearly look at the part, but I have an inkling. The part is metal as far as I can tell, and may be powder coated to a dull black finish. If the powder coating/(paint) doesn't adhere correctly and flakes off, or cracks easily during assembly, Nikon has a problem.

The area in question appears to me to be rounded into a groove through which a long pin anchors the part to the left and right at the bottom of the mirror box (basically the pivot point of the part). Such rounded areas can be difficult for powder coating or paint to adhere to. But then it raises the question as to why the surface defect appears in same general area. Maybe some technician is leveraging a tool in the gap to adjust it? This is all speculation, and my mind is just mulling various scenarios. Nothing has been established, so take my opinion with a grain of salt and a dash of pepper.

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow