The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,259
Re: The scratch right below the reflecting mirror on D600.

Interesting information. I took a closer look at my D600, and found a very small surface defect, a little bit closer to the center under the mirror of the area described. Upon closer examination, the area is on a mechanical part, that rapidly folds down when the mirror raises. With the mirror down, that part is raised about 45 degrees, i.e., about parallel to the plane of the mirror in the down position. I raised the mirror via the sensor cleaning mechanism in order to clearly follow the action of that part. (Make sure you have a fully charged battery, otherwise the mirror will not come up)

If the surface defect is an abrasion of sorts, with particles loose in the mirror box, it is well possible, that this mechanism and the mirror movement during an actuation can buffet particles onto the sensor. If any oil/lubrication is present on this part (pure speculation), then it could well release tiny drops towards the sensor. Anyway, this may possibly be the vector of the dust/oil spot issue. Nikon should definitely look into this.

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow