Which one is the least discussed 4/3 (AF) lens ?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
seho Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Re: One I would love to know more about...

TrapperJohn wrote:

is the Sigma 150 F2.8 Macro.

Saw one pop up for sale used last year, it was the first I had heard of it in a 4/3 mount. It sold quickly, and I haven't seen one for sale since, at least not on the used market. Is it really a cost effective substitute for the ZD 150F2? Worth getting if another one turns up? Inquiring minds want to know...

Substitute for the ZD 150/2? No. It is, at the same time, both more and less than the ZD. (I've got both lenses.)

The ZD is unbelievable wide open, and optically best (slightly) at f2.2. It's not, however, a macro lens, although you can get some surprising results shooting active insects handheld sometimes. I'm planning on doing some guided astrophotography with it this winter, conditions permitting

The Sigma is an outstanding macro lens (my favorite of all time, and I've focused on macro and closeup subjects for all of my shooting life, going on 45 years now), but just ok at infinity. Most of the time I use manual focusing, but I focus manually on most subjects. I probably had a deviant upbringing, being quite pre-autofocus, and starting out with view cameras.

Both 150s weigh a good bit, and sometimes I pick and choose which I'll carry, depending on chosen subject. But most of the time I'll haul both along.

I've always liked longer macros, such as the old Canon FD 200/4 macro, more than the usual 50mm with 35mm, so it may just be me. The ZD 50 macro is currently in second place, closeup-wise, these days, but the Sigma probably get 85% of the work, 10% for the 50, and what's left for the ZD 35 macro.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow