what is the gp-1A about?
The GP-1A looks pretty much like the GP-1 which I have.
Let me save you $300 - don't get it, it sucks. For $300 bucks you expect something that is sort of useful.
Cr@ppy things about the GP-1:
- needs good view of sky to get signal, slow lock
- GPS coordinates are only recorded when the unit has a lock (i.e. anytime something blocks the sky, you have no GPS data and no location info) - e.g. it doesn't use the last known position when you enter a building
- incredibly inconvenient - stiff cable which dwarfs the unit gets in the way of everything
- mounting on the hot shoe means flash cannot be opened
- while the unit has a cable to connect to a 10 pin socket, there is no way to connect a 10 pin remote to the unit - so people using 10 pin remotes are supposed to buy another remote?
- no direction information - though the camera will display it (I believe some alternatives to, which would be good for logging direction shot taken)
- they have actually raised the price on this??? I think it was around $200+
If you really want to throw away $300 - send it to me. Alternatively give it to charity.
- take a picture with your smart phone at every location you want to log and copy the data from the smart phone picture using View NX - smart phones use assisted GPS and are far more accurate and many (like iPhones) will have a location inside buildings etc. Even if you were using a GP-1 mounted to your camera, you will most likely not have GPS data for most images for the reasons above and will have to copy.
- run an application on your smart phone like gps4cam
- try an alternative product like Aokatec (around $80)- in order to be worse than the Nikon GP-1, it would have to be so incredibly poor. If it mounts on the camera like it's supposed to, it's already doing better.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%