Is Canon out of touch ?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,601
Re: Your only supporting my arguement...

Tazz93 wrote:

zlatko wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

No, these are not the only Pros that truly matter to Canon. They have a marketing value, yes, but that is because they are respected users who either through their work or through their ability to communicate at seminars, etc., have a value to Canon.

True, any working professional has a value to Canon, a dollar value (considering the average working professional spends about $5,000-10,000 in gear). But do they have an development value to Canon? Are they valued beyond the complaints they post up, i.e. 1DIII's AF? Sadly, about the only time its noticable they are listening is when something is broken.

Now, granted yes... Canon has to consider its clients to some extent, and yes if you are gonna listen to anybody it would have to be those that have the most in depth knowledge, i.e. the working professional. But if you take a step back and look at the picture, you'll see that something other than the working professional is driving the R&D or feature set decisions.

Point and shoot features like articulated LCD's, Live view, movie modes, GPS, WiFi, and touch screens - all have been accepted because there is some value to them, but most professionals would have rather seen R&D put into ISO performance, dynamic range, AE/AF performance, resolution, durability, weight mitigation, etc.. These are all core photography values that make the professional's job easier, and yes they are coming, but only because the competition brings them out first.

So if you ask me who they are really listening to, I can't say the professional client base with a straight face. But I have noticed, they do go out of their way not to anger the professional client base either. Go figure.

Your negativity is misplaced. I happen to know of one prominent professional photographer who has given Canon regular input on products since the 1990's. And there are others, among them Canon Explorers of Light and Ambassadors. Some of their requests have resulted in specific products that didn't exist before; other input was incorporated in improvements to existing products and in firmware updates. Many of the products we use today are the result of such input and collaboration over many years.

The fact is that Canon is really listening to professional photographers across a range of fields of photography, and there are many products, technologies and features to evidence such listening. That is why, for example, the 5DIII added a series of specific improvements requested by professional photographers, and why the 24-70/2.8II lens was built with better image quality and a more durable design. And that is why Canon introduced the radio-controlled flash system built into the 600EX.

However, some the posters on this forum don't know the facts. Instead, they freely make up and post a regular stream of imagined negativity about the company's methods and products.

Step back and take a look at the examples you gave, 24-70L II and Radio controlled flash systems, updates both come due to the beating on the nose the company has taken from its users. Errors/choices in the original designs caused the need to update. Not to take too much away from pretty spectacular products like the original 24-70L, but it was obviously lacking in a few categories which is why they decided to step in and change certain flaws or design issues (namely, the reverse zooming and edge performance). At the price point they were asking, the buyer had to overlook the issues and accept the product as a whole in the past.

you do realize that was the first constant 24-70 2.8 zoom released right? in 2002? most other companies at the time had 28-70 2.8's.

The reverse zoom should have stayed btw, you calling that a "design flaw" is .. odd.

the new speedlights are brilliant .. i guess pocketwizards are out of touch too ..

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow