Buy now or wait?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Flat view
Bobzilla2 Junior Member • Posts: 26
Buy now or wait?

I want a longer lens for my Nikon D60 (yes I know, but lens first, D300 later).  Its predominantly to shoot motorbike racing, amateur pleasure rather than professional.  I have recently come into about £270 that I was not expecting to get.

The 'now' options are a Sigma or Tamron 70-300 stabilised.  Perhaps I could stretch to the Nikon  VR.

The later option is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR.

All are second hand.

I do not absolutely need the lens before the beginning of April, and the 6 months should give me time to save up the extra £600.

Question is, do I buy now or do I save up for the F2.8?  If there was an F4, I would consider that, but the new f4 isn't out, and I suspect it will be more than £900 come April.  If its not more than £900, I would seriously consider that one.

So, what do I do?  Am I going to see any real benefit from the extra £600, or am I falling into Gear Acquisition Syndrome and thinking 'new, shiny, expensive, nice'?  I can wait if there is a real reason to, and explain to the wife why I'm spending £900.  There might be a need to put a 2x convertor on it, and some semblance of autofocus would be nice, although not essential as I will mostly be setting focus on a fixed point and holding it.  I know focusing will be better on the D300, but as I said, lens first, camera later.


 Bobzilla2's gear list:Bobzilla2's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D300 +2 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow