Focusing tips for a beginner

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Questions thread
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,488
Re: Critical sharpness......

Bob Tullis wrote:

tedolf wrote:

kckempf wrote:

I was open to the idea that I didn't know what I was talking about!  Certainly I'm still learning what sorts of results to expect from the equipment I have.  If this is the expected output, I can't complain.

in my oppinion, at this level of magnification critical sharpness is more dependent on using a tripod, locking up the mirror/usning "anti-shock" setting, IS off, remote or timed shutter release and doing some PP than whether you are using a 12mp or 16mp sensor.   If you are not going to do that then larger, heavier cameras have an advantage because they have more mass to damp vibrations, etc. I think a lot of people with compact cameras complain about critical sharpness and jump to more expesive cameras because they are not willing to acknowlge that cirtical sharpness really depends on doing a lot of unpleasant work (e.g. using a tripod, etc.).    Tedolph

This suggests you see camera movement responsible in the example, and the lens itself is not part of the problem.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

It also suggests that the camera is actually focused correctly -- on the trees -- which I'm inclined to think it is not, since areas in the foreground appear to be in sharper focus.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow