Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
KAllen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,872
Re: Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Stepanfo wrote:

Marek07 wrote:

Nikon d800e with Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G...or

Canon 5d mk3 with Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L ll USM

I work in Fashion and Portraiture, and was wondering which Kit would be more suitable or just which would you prefer and why?

Fashion and portraiture - that calls for the best image quality.

As you see, D800/e is significantly better than 5DIII in dynamic range. These are not only numbers, it has been shown in many tests, that Nikon has nice clean shadows while Canon has a lot of noise in them, making adjusting the files more complicated or impossible.

It also has better colours than Canon. Ignore all that BS about better skin tones from Canon. Canon has unbanaced colour rendition to make people look pinkier thus when a Canon user sees a true colours from Nikon, he simply does not recognise them, because his colour perception has been  ruined by Canon.

Nikon sees colours better than Canon does and how you set the camera and the files is entirelly up to you. You have more possibilities with Nikon. If you like pink people, you can have them with Nikon too, and better than from Canon.

D800/e is the best camera ever made tested by DXO mark yet. Canon 5DmkIII is something around 50th place. True is, that it is the best of all Canon Cameras. Being the best of the worst does not make you good.

If you will photograph a lot of fashion I would not get the E version because of the possible moire effects on the fabric, I would get normal D800 instead.

If you will be getting Nikon, do not forget to get awesome and affordable AF-S 85mm f 1.8 lens too!

I fail to see how you can say anyone camera renders colours better than another, when a lens will balance the colour one way or another.

My 70-200mm will have a different look to my primes and most of them have a bias.

Chuck a Sigma on and you get yellow plus weird contrast.

KAllen's gear list:KAllen's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow