Focusing tips for a beginner

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Questions thread
nbs3000 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Could noise reduction be to blame?

I'm not sure if you shot these as JPEGs or RAW... but I found the default noise reduction settings on the OM-D tended to turn texture of foliage into a mush when shooting JPEG.  You describe the effect "as if it is painted", which could be at least partially caused by NR rather than focussing alone.

You may want to follow the advice from the OM-D user guide here, to turn down NR.

I recently started shooting JPEG + RAW (rather than just JPEG), and compared the results for shots of landscape, trees, foliage, etc.  With RAW I could controlling sharpening and noise reduction myself in Lightroom, the level of detail was definitely better than the OOC JPEG.

I'm new to LR but I read a tip about holding down ALT while adjusting sharpening sliders - this helps a LOT!

nbs3000's gear list:nbs3000's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow