Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Questions thread
George Evans Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
Re: Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Ash, my first camera was the Sony F717 with an EVF and you will find it easier and quicker to learn photography by using the A57 with an EVF.

A friend new to photography asked me to help him understand his new camera which had an OVF and to take better photos and it was easier to show him the basics of photography and how to shoot in manual using my A77.

Because WYSIWYG I was able to show him via the LCD how to read a live histogram, to understand the EV scale and the effect that changes made to ISO, aperture and shutter speeds had on it and the image before pressing the shutter. When you can see the effect of the changes you're making to a camera live then you will learn photography quicker.

I started with cheap Minolta lenses backed up with Tamron and Sigma and have now added the cheap and very sharp Samyang 8mm fisheye (manual only) lens to my bag. I'm planning to buy the Samyang 10mm UWA (manual only) lens when it's released in the new year. On an SLT camera they're easy to use. With old cheap Minolta lenses and third party lenses you won't go short of the right lens for a Sony SLT.

There are 40 members of our photo society and two of us use the Sony A77. We have a bit of fun at times winding up the Canikon owners, guest speakers and judges, but when I'm taking photos at club meetings for the blog and talk them through the Sony A77 features they don't laugh. The Sony SLT is not inferior to any other camera brand.

Good luck with your choice.

George Evans
www.wirralpix.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Marti58
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow