Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Questions thread
OP MrCool77 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Is sony Alpha DSLT/DSLR the right platform for learning photography and growth?

Maxeyesore wrote:

Is it a coincidence that nearly all the replies here are FOR sony? Take it for what its worth Mr Cool, check other forums and do web searches. I have a long history with this forum and if you disagree with them, all you get is insults. I agree with one of the guys here, you may do better with a common brand as other people can help you more.The reason I swapped sony for pentax was weather sealing on ALL their current cameras. I've watched a man burry his K5 in sand, wash it off under a shower, then shoot with it.

Just today I read Nord say he lost a $1300 a77 due to shooting too long in the rain. If you want the best per dollar photo quality, go pentax or nikon. Which you choose is up to you, check everything you can find from as many sources as you can find. Anybody who tells you to trust them and ignore others is a fanboy with an agenda.

My only personal advice is, if you do choose the a57 as you seem to be leaning towards, hold off on buying a slew of lenses until you know this is the system you want to stay with. I got lucky and only had 4 lenses when I decided to move. If I had spent thousand$ more I would have been in more of a pickle.

-- hide signature --

To see is to believe...PENTAX

Thanks Max.

I am actually only trying to understand this forums perspectives on Sony as a platform but I am actually primarily going by my instincts.

To begin with I seem to like what Sony offers to me as a hobbyist and I like what they offer for beginners like me (most reviews and what I compared suggest the same).

Like I said earlier, i will hold on to major investments in lenses till I know my needs well. Also i need to be able to grow as a photographer to a point where I could then define clearly where a platform will limit me only then I will be able to bring objectivity into which camera system to invest.

MrCool77's gear list:MrCool77's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Marti58
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow