Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,187
Re: Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Royce - Into the Night Photography wrote:

But then Nikon and Canon couldn't sell us the next generation camera, and make more money! As a professional photographer, I kept the same Nikon film camera bodies for about 10 years before upgrading. With digital I've had to upgrade about every 2-3 years to a new body

Well, as have been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the body part is the less expensive part, more or less a shell to the valuable parts. And very probably, considering the extra engineering to make a replaceable sensor package work, that package would very likely be more expensive to build (and thus for us to buy) then those complete new cameras ... Which sort of defeats the point of such a design.

However, I've able to keep the same 2 lenses I bought for my first FX camera. It's still working great after almost 10 years, and I expect another ten!

This is where the modular design does work: Lenses can be designed fairly independent on sensors, and thus work fine to have as separate and replaceable parts. Same with flashes, tripods and other similar things. But separating the camera body from a sensor module would very likely cause more problems then it solves.

Think of the camera body as a fairly low cost shell holding the important image processing parts together and protecting them. When you want to replace the image processing part, you might  as well get a new protective shell for it while you are at it.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow