Bad Canon 7D (not sharp) or is it me?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
shleed Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: Bad Canon 7D (not sharp) or is it me?

Also to add, and that many photographers are not aware of this. Many (including me) suffer from the "wobbles" when taking photos, ie. we subtlety move back and forth. For most lenses this is not an issue, but with lenses that have apertures of f2 or higher, this can sway the focus plane immensely due to the shallow DOF.

I remember doing a test on this before, comparing photos that I took handheld and with a tripod. I normally can get sharp photos handheld, but when I did the test I noticed my keeper rate went from 70-80% to nearly 99% when using a tripod.

I tried this while using live view while the camera was handheld, all while trying to be as still as possible. The camera got the subject in focus, but it quickly went back/forth out of focus due to my subtle movements.

shleed's gear list:shleed's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow