Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Re: Trying to answer

I understood what you mean, Grevture, but if you say so, doesn't it sound like good business to Nikon after all?

Well, so they could (for example) sell a FF digital back for 1.5k.

Imagine you could buy the D800 for 3k, and a module sporting the same 36mp sensor for 1.5k, ready to use on your F5.

Nikon would sell tons of both, I believe.

And following your logic, they could have tremendous profit doing so.

So back to my original question, why is it not commercially doable?

And under the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm gonna explore Silicon Film's concept even further.

I've found this info, right from DPreview's PMA 2001 show report.

"the unit itself has a built-in capacity for 24 images (64MB) after which time it must be inserted into the E-Box and its contents either transferred to a computer or CompactFlash card.

The second limitation is that the relatively small 1.3 megapixel CMOS sensor uses only about 30% of the center of the frame, this means that when looking through the viewfinder you have a small field of view (marked out by a supplied rub-on transfer) which equates to a 2.58x focal length multiplier, thus a 28mm lens becomes 72mm.

Lastly it only currently supports certain camera models: Nikon F5, F3, N60/N90 and Canon EOS-1N, EOS-A2, EOS-5."

It's ancient 2002 tech.

I mean, max storage of 24 shots per run? 1.3mp? 2.6x crop?

It's clear why it never went into production. 2002 tech did not allow a proper implementation.

What if you had these 2012 specs:

- internal storage for 2.000 shots.

- 24mp

- FF sensor

- could be used on a variety of popular film cameras (probably we all have some of those in our closets): F100, F5, F6... Leica M6 anyone ? etc

My point is: with the original specs, it was clearly headed downhill right from the start, even in 2002.

The old D100 runs circles around it.

But... what about these very doable 2012 specs?  Seems very easy to sell.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow