Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Re: Trying to answer

marcio_napoli wrote:

Hi Grevture

Thanks for clarifying !

Reading your post, I tend to agree, specially on the not commercially doable part.

The commercial aspect is where most ideas which show up in forums tend to fail

So true... after all, these companies need to make money.

Sad, but true.

But if you allow me, I'll throw in one last argument on why I believe major makers never tried it.

For each Nikon F6 sold, several backs are flying out the door.

You keep the body for 10 years (just like you keep the lenses), and upgrade backs.

But the problem is that those backs would not generate large profit for Nikon. A considerable part goes to the sensor maker, in this case Sony, Kodak, Aptina... whoever is behind the sensor itself.

Now, keep in mind many of Nikons sensors are their designs, meaning they own much of the intellectual properties (IP) within it. Which also mean they own much of the income from making them.

That's not a really great deal for Nikon, and Nikon could go out of business selling so few bodies.

The thing is, the camera body represent a smaller part of the total value, it is the sensor package (sensor + processor + firmware) which is the expensive part, not the body and its buttons, wheels, screens and whatnots.

Read one of Joesephs posts which is quite enlightening:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50108700

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow