Maybe my D7000 has issues....

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MiraShootsNikon Senior Member • Posts: 1,041
Oh, Contrast Detect, how I love you!

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

ott77n wrote:

It did not? Your photo shows that it did. Can't you see it?

I give up

Do give up and do us all a favour! I see hundreds of shots with clear back focus. I'm hardly the first one to have a D7k with back focus.

Even the target shots clearly show back focus.

Read what it is..learn!

I was there I took the shot with a tamron, AF-A no re-focus..re-compose shot. Read it and understand!

Hey Barry,

Question for ya: why don't you use Live-View and Contrast-Detect AF with your D7000?  I know Mako suggested it above as kind of a kiss-off, but seriously, why not?

True confession: I sometimes have a *terrible* time with my D7000's phase-detect focus.  And it's not for lack of trying; I just find that it isn't consistent.  When I've tried to calibrate my lenses (following approved technique with a lens align chart), I find that I get different offsets when the lens comes from infinity to the focal point vs. its minimum focal distance to the focal point.  For most of my lenses, the consistency difference is + / - 5, which is enough to screw up a shot at f/1.4 or f/2.  What's more, I've found the non-cross points to be kind of worthless--more or less totally inaccurate.

So I just said "F*#K IT!" and started shooting live view most of the time.  That was in December 2010 and I haven't looked back.  I love it!

Maybe it was easier for me to do so, because when I'm not shooting digital, I spend a lot of time shooting a Mamiya RZ67.  You're old-school so you know what I'm talkin' bout, right?  67 medium format, waist-level finder?   Shooting live view on the D7000 is just like shooting the Mamiya.  The D7000's screen is pretty much the same size as the Mamiya's ground glass.  Popping up the Mamiya's magnifer is just like zooming on the D7000's screen.   BUT, of course, the D7000 is magnificently better in the sense that it does the focusing for you!   Pretty quickly!   And you can put the focus point anywhere on the screen!

Now, I know you're probably going to reply something about how Live View isn't fast enough for action or somehow not suitable for blah-blah-blah and that Minolta would've done it better.  But come on, quit focusing (nice pun?) on what it isn't and start using it for what it is!   It's amazing!   Get your fastest lens and you can nail tack-sharp shots with the focus point anywhere in the freakin' frame!   I mean, if that isn't an amazing photographic advance, I don't know what is.

mira

MiraShootsNikon's gear list:MiraShootsNikon's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow