Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,202
Re: It's here

I listed MFDB's because I'm very familiar with them, but I also mentioned the Ricoh which is on the opposite end of the spectrum. The sensor and the processor are tied at the hip. The processor needs to know the CFA arrangement, the spectral response and the curve of the sensor, the spectral transmission of the CFA, IR, and AA filters, the bit depth of the A2D (which has to be on the sensor for speed), the noise charactersistics, the characteristics of any microlens array... The firmware on the processors is specific to all of these factors and more. Now it appears that you think that the sensor could just tell the processor and the processor could act accordingly, but the reality is that the firmware doesn't just have this raw information, very complex calculations have been run on these to create specific tone reproduction curves, color reproduction algorithms, noise reduction algorithms, etc... the processor can't just do these on the fly. So yes the firmware would have to be updated to support new sensors.

The issue being locked into proprietary systems is that there will not be a large market, and a sensor is only worth making if millions and millions can be sold, or they can be sold for very high prices (which is why MFD costs so much).

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow